10 cities of Aqua Publica members will participate in the EU Mission for climate-neutral, smart cities by 2030.
The European Commission announced that 100 cities will participate in the EU Mission for climate-neutral, smart cities by 2030. 10 cities from Aqua Publica members are among the selected cities.
The European Commission announced that 100 cities, named Cities Mission, will participate in the EU Mission for climate-neutral, smart cities by 2030. 10 cities from Aqua Publica members are among the selected Cities Mission: Barcelona (BCASA), Seville (EMASESA), Grenoble-Alpes Metropole, Paris (the City of Paris and Eau de Paris), Bergamo (Uniacque), Milan (MM and Gruppo CAP), Turin (SMAT), Athens (EYDAP), Budapest (Budapest Waterworks), Brussels Capital Region (VIVAQUA and De Watergroep), Cork and Dublin (Irish Water).
The objective is to ensure that these cities act as experimentation and innovation hubs to put all European cities in a position to become climate-neutral by 2050. As well to the Cities Mission, four other EU missions are addressing global challenges in the areas of adaptation to climate change, restoring our ocean and waters, healthy soils and cancer. Public Water Operators will contribute to addressing these challenges by 2050.
The Cities Mission will receive €360 million of Horizon Europe funding covering the period 2022-23, to start the innovation paths towards climate neutrality by 2030.
Benefits for the cities
- Tailor-made advice and assistance from the Mission Platform (managed by the NetZeroCities consortium)
- Unlocking additional funding and financing opportunities through a Mission label
- Research & innovation funding opportunities for cities to join large innovation actions, pilot projects and demonstrations (total budget from Horizon Europe for 2021-2023 is €360 million)
- Support through a national coordination network
- Networking opportunities, learning and exchange of experiences among cities
- Support with involving citizens in decision-making
- High visibility – raised political profile and attractiveness for investment and skilled workers
Cities will start working on their Climate City Contracts:
- Including climate action plan and investment strategy
- Innovative city governance and citizen engagement
- Involvement of EU, national and regional level